Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Back to School...Let's Party!



Madison was so excited to start first grade...seemed like a great reason to celebrate! Sunday night, Darin taught the kids how to play Uno in honor of starting 1st grade. Then we attempted to document the day on video, but our video camera wasn't cooperating. We had big slices of yummy Jello Poke Cake that Madison helped make. Then we topped off the evening with a back to school blessing from Dad.

Monday afternoon was "Meet and Greet" at the school where we got to go and meet Madison's teacher and see the classroom. Her teacher is Ms. Kastigar. From the few minutes I spent with her, I was really impressed. This will be her third year teaching, and she seems so excited. The classroom is set up really nice. The kids have their own desks, different from the kindergarten tables. Madison sits next to a girl that was on her soccer team last year. She says, "That's good I get to sit by Ashley so she can keep me safe and I can keep her safe." I'm not exactly sure what they have to keep each other safe from, but I am glad she knows someone in her class. There are also two kids that used to be in our ward and two kids that were in her class last year. I kept waiting for her to express some sort of apprehension about school, but she never did. She just wants to go! It's funny what being in a classroom environment does to kids. We walked in and she started pointing to posters that were hanging around the room and telling me all kinds of things--like counting to 100 by 10's--that I have been trying to practice with her all summer. She hasn't really been interested at home, but as soon as we step in the classroom, she is ready to learn!

4 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

I bet she will be really smart-just like her mom!

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

My family also does the back to school father's blessing too!

So far you are the only family that I know of who does the same thing we do.

Funny about Madison! First day of school is always so exciting for everyone involved!

Stacey Kannenberg said...

Clever blog name! HA! Happy First Grade!! We have three more weeks and then we are off to Fourth and Second Grade! Where did the summer go!?
Smiles - Stacey

Angie and Brian said...

She looks just like I remember you looking when i met you in the 1st grade.