Thursday, August 28, 2008

Favorite Quotes

I was going through some papers the other day, and I came across this:

I got this quote from someone when I was in college, and I had it hanging on my bulletin board all through my college years. When I saw it again, I remembered why it's one of my favorite quotes. I like that there is nobody--of the billions of people in the entire world--that is exactly the same, and those things that are different about each of us can be used to enrich our lives and the lives of others, even to make the world a better place. Since I quit working a few months ago to become a full-time stay-at-home mom, I think I sometimes don't feel like I'm making a difference in the world. Deep down I know that my influence is more important and my impact is longer lasting in my new job than my former, but you sure don't get frequent accolades or reassurance of a job well done. This quote was a huge reminder to me that it is my "unique strengths" that qualify me for this job...and that nobody else has exactly the same "insight" and "passion" to be a mother to my children. I'm sure I have long since been replaced at my former job, but I still have lots of work to do here at home.

I have always admired people who are very involved in community programs and volunteer in so many capacities. Someday, when my children are a little more independent, I have aspirations to expand my influence beyond the walls of my home. I will find my mission "to make the world a better place" and get involved in causes that I care about. For now, I am content to be at home and care for my babies (and type all of this one-handed because Levi wants to be held!).

What is your favorite quote?

3 comments:

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

Thank you for a wonderful reminder.

Congrats to the stay at home mom job. The best in the world!

Unknown said...

You are doing the most important job in the world. You are a great mom and we appreciate the good care you take of our precious grandchildren. We love you!

Larissa said...

My favorite quote is "do the dream." Just joking, that should be yours, perfect human face! I'm trying to think of a good quote - I like the one that says something like "the Lord will make more out of you than you could be on your own." That one means more to me as a mom because I feel like I need that extra help!
And there's another quote on my fridge that says "When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims of our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities." (from Ezra Taft Benson).
I really like that one, even though I don't think I'm doing a very good job at it right now, but it reminds me of what I should be doing!