Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Invasion!

We are being invaded by these nasty things! If any of you have called me in the last couple of days, you've probably heard all about them, because Wyatt tells anyone who will listen about the "catepittars." The pediatrician and the AC service guy were especially impressed. We first saw them on the way to church on Sunday. They were all over the road by the church. Then by that night, they had found our cul-de-sac. They are coming out of the desert by our house by the hundreds. There were about 30 on our driveway yesterday, and 10 crawling up our mailbox, and one had crawled up the house almost to the roof. They are everywhere in the rocks, and we watched one devour a leaf of a weed in our backyard in about 3 seconds. I ran over one when I backed out of the garage, and its guts shot about two feet. Our driveway is covered in slime, either from them being squished, or from the green substance they emit (I'm not sure which end it comes from) when they are threatened.



My fearless hunter. Stepping on them would be too easy. Wyatt is using a metal bat to squish them.


Madison took over the bat. Wyatt now has a plastic sand toy that he covers them with and says, "Now you can't see your friends!"

5 comments:

Michelle Price said...

Gross. I'm glad they haven't made it to my side of town yet! Have they found your garden?
Nice shirt Wyatt!

Kris said...

If you pay them a nickel per "calepittar" killed, your place should be pest-free in no time! I'm glad Madison is loving school- but I'm with you, uniforms take all of the fun out of it! On the other hand, you'll never have to argue with her about which outfit she wants to wear!

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

Okay, I am trying not to shudder here

(shuddering)

I noticed that the caterpillars have red dots. My husband was bit, and clawed by a green caterpillar with red dots a while ago, and it swelled and got infected. He thinks they are poisonous.

(not like the spiders kind of poison, but like a form of defense against birds and stuff, or like poison ivy, it forms skin irritations)

Just giving you a heads up.

Otherwise, looks like Wyatt is having a good time. Is he enjoying or going to local preschool while Madison is at school?

Kluver Family said...

Good job guys!! Those slimmy guts everywhere.....wow! We miss seeing you all the time. Need to bring the kids over to see Levi, I bet he is growing too fast now. Great pictures on your blog.

Colleen said...

Ok, those things are freakish! How bizarre! I guess as long as they stay outside the house, right? Ha So great to "keep in touch" and see your pictures of the kids and the fun activities and goings on. I'm still really missing friends and "the West" so seeing your mountain/camping pictures make me sigh and miss it even more. It was so great to visit in May. I guess we traded mountains for beaches...when there aren't hurricanes, ha.