Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Going to the Mountains

When we asked Madison what she wanted to do while she was on spring break, the only thing she came up with was "go to the mountains." So go to the mountains we did. We drove around and hiked around. We roasted hot dogs. I think the kids were a little concerned about the whole fire thing. Their dad's job is to put out fires...and here he is making one. I love getting them out in nature. I love to see how their personalities shift a little and some of their normal fears and inhibitions are gone. Madison and Wyatt went off hiking up the hill by themselves. I overheard: "Wyatt, you might get a little scratched up, but that's just part of hiking." (From my children who almost always have at least one band aid on, and four or five is not all too uncommon). And then: "Wyatt, remember, break sticks, break sticks, break sticks." Then Wyatt's chant starts: "break sticks, break sticks, break sticks." What little trail-blazers. Even Levi got a taste of the great outdoors (literally). We tried (unsuccessfully) to teach them to skip rocks, a skill that Darin is really good at, and I seem to have completely lost any skill I once had.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I Think that's why most firemen become firemen - they are all pyromaniacs. Building fires or putting them out - it's all exciting!

Larissa said...

I wanna go too! Mmm, roasted hot dogs sound pretty good. Way better than what Levi's eating, anyway.
I like their hiking chant. Pretty tough kids you have. And I can't skip rocks at all anymore either! It didn't used to be THAT hard, right?

Mindy Burns said...

How fun! Coralee keeps asking to make smores- I don't even know how to do that without a huge camping trip, so maybe we should just do it in the backyard!